Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Where's Lynda?




(Hint: She's behind the flag - Ray :) Oh and we miss you too Lynda!

Here's the latest update from Peru...

Hey guys!
thankyou so much to yáll who´ve emailed me, I´ve now gotta go to an internet cafe to use email, so sorry if I can´t always write back, but know that your emails, thoughts, encouragement (gossip, stories...!) are fully appreciated!!!
Im now in my new home, a city called Abancay. I dunno what the population is, but it feels a bit bigger than invers, and smaller than chch. But hey theres like traffic lights and paved roads woohoo! but ya still see horses in the street, and mud brick houses, so its a real contrast. I was hanging out to go to a cafe, and was sooooo disappointed when I went. The waitress brought me over a mug of hot water, and a wee bottle of coffee concentrate to pour in myself WHAT??!! No layer of foamy milk with cinnamon sprinkles?? Ripped off! Although it did only cost me the equivalent of 90cents, so I cant´complain hehe
The trip here was a bit of a nightmare. It should take 13hours driving, so we left at 6am. But by 9.30 we arrived at this massive landslide covering the road. Remember this is peru, and the local tractor was in another village waiting to be fixed, so if ya wana get through you gotta do it yourself. So we started clearing rocks, 5 of us (including me, my 18yr old host sister, and a pregnant chick, not the best road works team!) We worked out butts off for 5 hours clearing that road... then once we passed it... there was another landslide round the next corner... and then another one...and another one..!!! We didn´t finish until it was dark, after TEN hours of rock moving!!!! arrrrrggggghhhhh Our hands were raw by the end of it, but we did it. One day I´ll look back and laugh.... but for now I´ll be happy if I never touch another rock in my life...!
Im living with a Peruvian family for the first month here. Theres a mum, dad, 11yr old boy and 2 yr old girl. We´re just getting over the usual awkward conversation stage, so should be a good experience. My address is really easy here (hint hint!) Apartado 206, Abancay, Peru.
I went to a tiny church of 8 people last night. Well, when they found out I was a missionary they asked me to speak at their youth group this weekend. In the midst of the languge barrier I kinda agreed before I realised they meant they wanted ME to do the speaking! So we´ll see how that goes! My spanish is gettng heaps better, and a guy I met in town asked if I was from Spain ha! that´s the best compliment!
Will get myself settled into ministry, and youth and kids work in the next week or so. Will be teaching English a lot here.
keep the stories coming my way, huge blessings to yáll xoxoxo
love, Lynda
PS To my prayer supporters: praise God for all that He´s teaching me here, please pray for the family I´m living with, as they´re not Christians, pray for Saturday as I speak at youth group, praise God for the support of the other missionaries here in Abancay, pray for Him to lead me clearly to the opportunities He has for me to serve here xoxo

No comments: